Wednesday, March 4, 2009

U-Blog 4

For my Wiki assignment I was assigned to research cognitivism. This brought back some memories of one of my favorite freshman classes, Psychology. I really enjoy the study of the brain and the way people react in any given situation, and cognitivism is, in my opinion, particularly interesting. Cognitive psychology focuses on the internal processes used in decision making by a person. I'm not going to rehash what my Wiki article already says, but I do want to talk about the assignment in general. This is the first time I've done a wiki, and I can really see the potential for this in business.

One use for a wiki in the business world would be as listed here, for training. A knowledge base built around wikis would be very useful because multiple people can work on it and contribute to the wiki and write about whatever their particular strength is. I've done things like this similar in the past - putting a word document on a file server and letting several people edit it. The problem with this is the inability to easily access revisions to the file and to find out who made these revisions. A wiki fixes this by letting you easily go back and forward through different revisions. You can also see who made any edit with just a few clicks.

I can think of several other reasons: work logs, document creation, etc. The primary problem I would see with implementing a wiki into a work environment would be people would not treat it like a wiki and use it like a more traditional document. For instance, deleting a section of text that has been recently added and saving a new revision rather than going back to a revision before the edit was made. If an administrator can find a way to convince people to use the wiki correctly though, then this could be an efficient way to share information in a team

1 comment:

  1. We have a similar take on the similarities between Wiki's and business documents. When working in business situations, like group projects in senior level classes, it is often hard for users to edit a document without actually leaving changes visible, and an ID of who made the changes. I recently started using MS Office 2007 "Review" tab to edit changes,etc, so that as the document gets passed along to other members of the group, it is easy to see who added what.

    ReplyDelete